The BMW Center for German and European Studies (CGES) is housed in the prestigious Walsh School of Foreign Service at Georgetown University. The Center began as one of three North American “DAAD Centers of Excellence” founded in 1990 with a generous ten-year grant from the Federal Republic of Germany. In 1996, the university received a $10 million permanent gift from BMW AG to support the Center after 2000. The BMW Center maintains close and ongoing partnerships with the German government, the DAAD, and BMW. Over the years, the Center has developed new partnerships with the French Embassy Network of Centers of Excellence as well as the official representatives of the European Commission and European Parliament in Washington, D.C.
At Georgetown University, the BMW Center serves as a hub for interdisciplinary research and teaching on modern Europe, with an emphasis on cultural studies, economics, history, and political science. Through the Master of Arts in German and European Studies, related dual degree programs, and the wide variety of graduate certificate programs offered in the Walsh School, the BMW Center takes pride in carrying out its central mission: to educate the next generation of transatlantic leaders.
The Edmund A. Walsh School of Foreign Service
The Edmund A. Walsh School of Foreign Service (SFS) is the oldest and largest school of international affairs in the United States. Established in 1919 by Edmund A. Walsh, S.J., as an institution that is “particularly devoted to the preparation for foreign service in public and private interests,” it has since become an important source of candidates not only for the Foreign Service, but also for a multitude of public and private sector institutions concerned with international affairs.