Am I a Good Candidate?
The MAGES admissions committee reviews applications and weights criteria differently. In general, we look for candidates who meet a combination of the following criteria:
- Three years of college-level instruction in a European language other than English
- GRE score of at least 150 for quantitative and verbal sections and 4.5 for analytical writing
- If applicable, a score of at least 100 on the TOEFL or 7.5 on the IELTS
- Internship, work, and/or research experience demonstrating an abiding interest in Europe and/or international affairs
Additionally, MAGES applicants must have completed a bachelor’s degree (or international equivalent) by the time they matriculate. Current bachelor’s students may apply in their senior year, so long as they will complete all requirements for the undergraduate degree before the August in which they begin the MAGES degree.
We consider the whole candidate. If you fall outside of one of these criteria, please reach out to Supervisor of Academic Programs Zoe Ziliak Michel to discuss your potential application.
Applicants must submit the following items to the Office of Graduate Admissions by January 15, 2019. It is the responsibility of the applicant to make sure that all materials are submitted online and postmarked by the application deadline.
- Standard Georgetown University Graduate School Online Application
- Application Fee
- Academic Statement of Purpose (500 words in length, in English; applicants should address their academic and professional objectives, as well as their compatibility with the MAGES program)
- Three Official Recommendation Letters; at least two of which should be from academic references (to be submitted via the form in the online application)
- Official Transcript(s) from all undergraduate and graduate studies
- Official Test Scores: GRE (required) and TOEFL or IELTS (if applicable)
- Academic Writing Sample (written in English, preferably 10-20 pages and related to European studies; include footnotes, citations, etc.)
- Current Resume or Curriculum Vitae
- MAGES Language Proficiency Form. One European language evaluation must be uploaded to online application.
- MAGES Supplemental Data Form. Must be uploaded to online application.
Applications will not be reviewed by the admissions committee until all documentation has been received. Contact us if you have difficulties meeting this deadline.
Application Fee Refunds and Waivers
The standard application fee for the program is $90. However, many students qualify to have the application fee waived or refunded.
All applicants who submit their complete applications by December 1 will have their application fee refunded. To qualify, applicants must submit their complete application, including all letters of recommendation and unofficial transcripts, by midnight on December 1. These applicants will pay the $90 application fee up-front and then receive a refund in late December or early January.
Additionally, the following groups of applicants are eligible for fee waivers (and do not need to meet the early December 1 deadline):
- CBYX program alumni
- International Parliamentary Scholarship program alumni
- Rangel Finalists and Fellows
- Pickering Finalists and Fellows
To request your fee waiver, contact Zoe Ziliak Michel and Christina Ruby no later than January 2 to verify your eligibility.
Dual Degree Applications
MAGES offers multiple dual degree options. Applicants for the MAGES/Ph.D., MAGES/MPP, and MAGES/J.D. program must submit two online applications, one for each program applied to (e.g. one for the MAGES program and one for the Ph.D. in history). It is recommended that applicants write an submit separate statements of purpose for each degree application.
MAGES/J.D. applicants must submit LSAT scores to the Georgetown Law Center as well as submitting GRE scores to the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences Admissions Office.
Applicants should indicate on the online application that they are applying for a dual degree program.
Undergraduate juniors from Georgetown University who are interested in applying for the five-year accelerated MAGES/BSFS program should contact MAGES for more information.